"Growth by Design"
To most people the word 'annexation' creates thoughts of higher taxes with no additional benefit. The City of Winter Haven views annexation differently. It is our desire for Winter Haven to grow, providing a place of choice for citizens to live, work, and play! Additional focus is placed on the desire to provide a greater quality of service. We also seek ways to lower the costs to each city resident for providing such benefits and services. An increase in the area and population of the city allows the costs to be spread among a larger group, thereby lowering the per capita cost and enabling the city to increase the standard of living for all citizens.
So why annex, listed below are a few of the benefits related to annexation:
- ACCESSIBLE ELECTED OFFICIALS
- A STRONGER VOICE IN COMMUNITY DECISIONS AND DIRECTIONS
- IMPROVED POLICE AND FIRE PROTECTION, RAPID RESPONSE TIMES
- CITY WATER AND WASTEWATER SERVICES AT LOWER COSTS, OUTSIDE CITY SURCHARGE OF 25% IS ELIMINATED
- ACCESS TO ALL LEISURE OPPORTUNITIES AT CITY RESIDENT RATES AS COMPARED TO COUNTY RESIDENT RATES
- ELIMINATION OF COUNTY FIRE TAX FEES
- ATTRACTIVE PUBLIC FACILITIES AND PARKS
- HIGH QUALITY REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE OF STREETS, SIDEWALKS, AND RIGHT-OF-WAYS
- ACTIVE SUPPORT OF NEIGHBORHOODS, NEIGHBORHOOD ORGANIZATIONS AND NEIGHBORHOOD IMPROVEMENT EFFORTS THAT CITIZENS DIRECT
- CONSISTENT CODE ENFORCEMENT TO ADDRESS COMMUNITY APPEARANCE, SAFETY, AND PROPERTY VALUES
- PROTECTION OF PROPERTY VALUES THROUGH ZONING CONTROLS, LAND USE PLANNING, AND TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
- OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE ON CITY BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
We are proud of our City and the focus embraced by our City Commission. It is important that through the diligent efforts of all City employees and citizens alike, we will achieve our goal of making Winter Haven a place of choice to live, work, and play!
The City has numerous boards and committees covering a vast array of fields of interest for citizen participation. Want to become involved? Please click here for a listing of those opportunities. For an application, please click here.
Please click here for information regarding the City of Winter Haven Police Department.
Below is a list of staff members who can assist with any questions you may have:
Code Compliance Supervisor
Engineering Services Director
Deric C. Feacher
Chief of Police
Utility Account / Field Services Division Director
Communication / Marketing Division Director